Tuesday, June 2, 2015

BIRDS, BISON AND ELK, OH MY...

Well I was hoping that I would be able to share a few photos of my finished planting bed with you this week. You know, the one with the all natural cardboard weed barrier I showed you a few weeks ago. However, it has been cool, cloudy and rainy ever since we got it finished so I have not had a good chance to snap any pictures...or do anything outside for that matter. The bad thing is that some of the plants I planted on the West side of the house are sun loving, warm weather type plants. I'm not sure they are liking the weather any more than I am. I think they will be fine but we are all looking forward to a little sunshine....not the 100 degree temperatures that come with it, just the sunshine. How about you?

Anyway since I can't show you any pictures of the flower bed, I thought I would share THE TON of pictures I took on our day trip to The World Bird Santuary and Lone Elk Park in Valley Park, Missouri a few weeks ago...that's the trip that I found Leo's replacement, which you can read about HERE.



Isn't this hand carved eagle amazing?








The bird sanctuary is just that, a safe, nurturing sanctuary for wounded or elderly birds of all sorts. It's a really neat place to visit and we enjoyed every minute of it.










Can you tell?

Sadly, I didn't write down all the names (types) of birds to go along with the pictures so there are only a few species that I recognize by name but they were all absolutely gorgeous, and some were kind of comical...like this pair of Pelicans who squawked and balked and chased each other around...




























They even came up and talked to us...















One of my favorites were the snowy owls....so gorgeous!



Isn't she stunning?






































 I guess I shouldn't have said that they were ALL gorgeous...because condors are somewhat ugly...








Turkeys are quite ugly too...pretty feathers, not so pretty face, huh?










A type of Pelican?



How do you like the hairdo on this guy?  Cute isn't he?


 Parrots.

 Another condor type bird...

Hawk? Eagle? Falcon? Pretty isn't he?  Very regal looking!

Another pretty one...


GORGEOUS!!!

Last, but certainly not least, is the most regal, majestic bird of all...our nations icon...The American Bald Eagle...






STRIKING!!!
































Right next to the bird sanctuary is a reptile sanctuary (which we did not take the bubs to) and Lone Elk State Park where there is a refuge for bison, elk and deer. We didn't see any deer but we did see a few bison and elk...

















Well that's it...I know this was picture overload for you all, but we had a really good time and I just couldn't help myself with the picture taking. There was just so much to take in.

The bird sanctuary, reptile refuge and Lone Elk State Park are all FREE to enjoy. However, they do accept donations.

There are a number of picnic areas located in and around these areas to enjoy as well...all free. So, it's a nice place to spend the day without spending a lot of money.

If you are ever in the St. Louis area and would like to visit these places you can find directions and more information HERE and HERE.

or watch the virtual tour of the Bird Sanctuary below...




Have a fabulous week and make sure to get out and enjoy the summer season.  We are!

I will be back with some pictures of the garden and stuff around the house as soon as the weather clears up.

Ciao,



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips