Monday, August 19, 2013

HOMEMADE BEEF FRIED RICE AND CRAB RANGOON...

"SQUEEEEAL"...I am so excited!!!!!!!!  This is a landmark post here at Beyond the Portico because today I am going to share a scumpdealeicious recipe with y'all.  My first ever posted recipe.  Yay!!!  I have wanted to do some recipes on here for a long time but it seems that I never really get the time to cook or snap nice shots of the food.

Mainly this is because my husband does most the cooking at our house. He gets off work before I do and he almost always has dinner sitting on the table when I get home....I know I am soooo spoiled!!!!.   There are cons to this arrangement however....he usually leaves a huge mess for me to clean up and he has ruined every nice set of cookware I have ever owned...but I guess that is a small price to pay to have dinner ready and waiting for me every evening...LOL!!!

The other reason I can't get good shots of the food is because the people at my house are ready to eat as soon as the food is put on the table.  There's no time for snapping photos before the food gets cold or before somebody starts digging in and messing things up!

This weekend was different though.  I actually did the cooking!!!  I made homemade BEEF FRIED RICE along with a side of homemade CRAB RANGOON.   It was super delicious and super EASY!!...and guess what, I managed to get a nice photo of it for your viewing pleasure.






THIS IS NOT TAKE OUT!!  I repeat, THERE IS NO TAKE OUT HERE!!  I really did make this from scratch, all by myself, right here at home.  Really!!!  Though I won't lie and say that this shot was taken before we ate and before the food got cold....huh, huh, (clearing throat) no, I can't say that!  This is how it all went down....

I cooked, then patiently waited until after we all had eaten before plating up a special plate just to get a picture for this post.  I know, I know the horror of it all.  You're looking at cold, greasy, soggy food here folks. Sorry 'bout that, but you gotta admit it does look good, doesn't it?  Mmmm, believe me it was better than good.  So good in fact that there was almost not enough leftovers to even get this shot.  I literally took the crab rangoon off my daughters plate before she was done eating so I could snap a pretty picture of this meal and that's the horrible truth.  Ohhh the things we do for blogging...

Now if you want to find out just how good this homemade Asian meal tastes when it's hot, you are going to have to make it for yourself.  Here's how:

BEEF FRIED RICE
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    • 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
    • 1/2 pound eye of round steak
    • 1 small bag frozen peas & carrots
    • 2 cups cooked white rice 
    • 1 tablespoons cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a wok or large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce to combine. Add eggs to wok and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook, without stirring, until almost set, 1 minute, then fold in thirds with a spatula. Transfer cooked eggs to a work surface and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
    Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add pork and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, peas, and rice and stir to combine. Add cooked egg, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 1 minute. Let cook, undisturbed, until warm, about 1 minute. Top with scallion greens and serve.
CRAB RANGOON
  • 1 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
  • 1 6 oz. can white crab meat
  • 2  tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1  tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 pkg. wonton wraps






    1 scallion, minced
    Oil for frying
DIRECTIONS:

In small bowl cream together cream cheese and crab meat.  Stir in garlic powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and minced scallion.  Drop mixture by small spoonfuls onto center of each wonton wrap.  Fold corners of wrap up and seal. Deep fry in a sauce pan of hot oil. 

(Note:  When preparing my meal, I prepped all the crab rangoon first but waited to deep fry them until after the Beef Fried Rice was done.  I placed the Beef Fried Rice in the oven to stay warm and then fried the Crab Rangoon.  This way the crab rangoon is not cold, greasy and soggy before the entire meal is ready.)



























So there you go, my first ever recipe post.  I hope you will try this super easy, super yummy recipe soon. My family loved it and I'm sure yours will too.  Be sure to come back and let me know how yours turned out. Maybe you can even snap a picture of it....well that is, of course, after everyone has eaten. LOL!

HAPPY EATING and "Zai jian" (that's goodbye in Chinese).






Sharing at:
Coastal Charm...Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia...Tuesdays Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips