Tuesday, September 20, 2016


A few years ago the hubs and I traded spaces with the Sis.  We gave her the master bedroom and we took the bedroom upstairs.  Well, all that has changed again.  She is now back upstairs and we are on the main floor.

We gave sis our old bedroom furniture because we didn't want to have to haul it downstairs...that sleigh bed is a real beast...not even kidding.  She really didn't want our old stuff but it is best for the time being...especially since she is not willing to fork out her own hard earned money for what she wants...hahaha.

Anyway, sis has wanted a nautical themed room for a while...actually she changes her mind about as much as I do...so about the time I get done with her room she'll be wanting something else....LOL....so I decided to try and use what I could find at home to add a little nautical flair to her "new" room without spending a bunch of money.  I didn't have much and what I did have is more beachy/coastal than nautical but it's better than nothing and I like how it's turning out.

We still have lots of accessorizing to do.  I need some shells and driftwood to accessorize the bedside tables and I would like to either sand the furniture down to bare wood for a light driftwood beachy vibe or paint it white, but that's probably not going to happen for a while. That's more hard work than I want to engage in right now.

Also I will be making a pallet art sign for over the headboard that she wants...which will say "JESUS ANCHOR OF MY SOUL"....but now without further ado let me show you a few pics...

We used the white ruffle bedding and aqua sheets she already had.  I added a couple Pottery Barn pillows that I found at the thrift store for $1 each.

Of course you know from my last post that I made the faux capiz shell chandy.  I think that's my favorite thing so far.

While I was at it, I gave the landing a little makeover.  It's not coastal but it is in keeping with the coastal color palette I have been using upstairs...aquas, whites and grays.

Now I need to do a little work to the master bedroom. Ugh...just thinking about it makes me tired.  HEHE.  Anyway, when I get some of those things done I will share.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016


Sorry it has been such a long time since posting.  Just as I was getting ready to share this DIY faux capiz shell chandy, I realized my camera card reader was missing.  I had to order a new one.

Anyway, here is a somewhat short tutorial in case you want to make one of these GORGEOUS faux capiz shell chandys for yourself...or a friend...or just because they are so stinkin' gorgeous...

So how do you make one of these lovelies you ask?

First, find yourself a couple embroidery hoops in two or three different sizes...depending on how many tiers you want.

I used three different sizes...12", 9" & 5"  and wrapped them in jute twine for a truly coastal look...

or if you are looking for something easier than spending hours wrapping them...get out some spray paint.

I left extra long strings of jute twine coming down off the largest hoop so I could tie my smaller hoops to it to form a base to hang all my "capiz" shells from so I would get my tiered effect.

Once I had the base done it was time to make the shells...using WAX PAPER...A little note...the wax paper from dollar tree WILL NOT work.  It must be Reynolds brand or similar.  The nice thing about wax paper is that it is cheap everywhere.  The Reynolds brand was only $1.34 at Walmart.  You will most likely need 2 boxes.

Stack 3 to 4 sheets of wax paper together and iron on low heat until they fuse together...briefly touch the iron to paper...you do not have to hold it in place.  Move the iron around until everything is fused.

Once you have several sets of stacked, ironed paper it's time to make "shells" from it.  I wanted round shells in 2" and 1" sizes.  I already had circle punches at home to make them.  However, if you do not have any punches available you can simply cut the paper into squares.

I will just say that you are going to need A LOT of circles (squares, etc.)...my project took about 250 more or less to finish.

Once you have all your "shells" sew them together with a straight stitch with your sewing machine. This is easy and doesn't take long at all.

Next I cut my strands into 5 shell lengths and hot glued the 5 shell lengths 1" apart onto my jute twine chandelier base starting at the bottom of the base.

Keep gluing until the whole base is covered with shells.

That's it!!

Using more twine secure your Capiz Shell Chandelier to your ceiling light fixture and you're DONE.

Super easy...though somewhat time consuming...and CHEAP.  This whole project cost me less than $5.

I found my embroidery hoops at a thrift store for .25 each. $1.35 roll for wax paper and $1 for spool of twine.

Now go out and make one of these beauties!!


Blogging tips