Monday, August 26, 2013

EASY & INEXPENSIVE DINING CHAIR FACE LIFT...

Hello, hello!!  Hope you all had a good weekend.  I thought I was going to but I ended up with a horrible stomach virus that left me bedridden for much of the weekend.

Now I know that I said I would be back bright and early Monday morning with photos of our newly finished roof, but you will just have to wait until tomorrow because at this point I am picture less when it comes to the roof. By Thursday afternoon when the roof was finally finished I was too sick to even venture outdoors with the camera.  I did however manage to get a little project done indoors beforehand...

I gave my dining room chairs an inexpensive face lift!

Now the last time you saw my dining room I had a vintage Duncan Phyfe style table and chairs but they were just too big for the room so I sold them.  I think I forgot to mention that little fact.  Anyway, this is what has been in their place...



An old thrift store round table and some old parson chairs.  Yuuuck, can everyone say "the 80's wants their chairs back"...FOR REALS, right!!!!  By the way, do you like my new rug?  It was an Overstock.com special and it was just what I was wanting for my dining room redo....The table and chairs however are not what I am wanting for this room.  I do have a vision for this room and this table and chairs aren't in it!!! That said, they have to suffice until I find and afford what I want, so the chairs got a little makeover.

I started by removing the fabric from the legs to expose the raw wood...





Whew, that was a lot of work as there were a lot of staples! The wood on these legs is not great but good enough.  Once I got all the legs stripped and sanded I painted them brown...


Oooops, I forgot a side...hehe.  See the wood is pretty poor but the brown paint hides most of the imperfections.  After the paint was dry I added some inexpensive Sure Fit slipcovers that I had ordered from Wal-mart.com for $12.00 each...




I got them in the soft suede fabric not duck cloth like in the photo above.  They aren't a perfect fit but they are pretty darn close and made such a huge difference....

Let's see the chairs one more time before...







and AFTER...


Ahhhh yes, that IS much better.  They will certainly do until I can afford something better.  What do you think? Do you like these old 80's parson chairs now?  

This little face lift was super easy and the total cost...$50.00.  A couple dollars for paint and $48.00 for the slipcovers.  These slipcovers are easy to take on and off and they are washable.  Did you know that Wal-mart sells slipcovers?  They do and they are about half the price for the same Sure Fit brand as everywhere else I have found them.  So next time you are in the market for a slipcover you might try Wal-Mart first. They might just have what you need for cheaper.

I'll be back tomorrow with roof pictures, I promise!  I know you can't wait, lol....






Sharing at:

Between Naps on the Porch..Met Monday
Coastal Charm...Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips