Monday, November 24, 2014

AN HONEST EXCUSE AND WORKING ON SOME DIY RESTORATION HARDWARE STYLE ART FOR THE DINING ROOM...

Howdy!

It seems like posts are a little scarce around here lately. The truth, I have just not been feeling my best for quite some time. Not sure what the issue is but when you don't have health insurance there's no going to the doctor to find out so you just try and work your way through it. I am extremely fatigued most days and pretty much just all around miserable.

I have had this problem for a few years now; however, I used to have more good days than bad. In the past six months or so that has changed. I now have more bad days than good. Making it through my regular work day takes about all the energy I can muster anymore. Shoot, who am I kidding, getting out of bed in the morning takes all the energy I can muster. Work is a whole other problem.

Needless to say work and projects at home are few and far between and I have not been able to mark much off my to do list for the past several months. That's okay, the list of things to do will still be there when I am feeling up to doing them. They most certainly are not going away on their own! Hahaha.

Enough about all that though because I am not the type of person to roll over and let this thing kick my butt behind. I WILL win and to prove it I have mustered enough energy to start on a little DIY Restoration Hardware style art for my dining room makeover.

The inspiration piece for my new art is this GORGEOUS tall, slender Chrysler Building blueprint art from Restoration Hardware...





I also liked the Trajan's Column Etchings...




but neither was quite the design I wanted in the dining room (nor could I afford either) so I decided that I would make etchings of something more dining roomesque.

At first I thought two tall slender etchings of the leaning Tower of Pisa would be good (I need one on either side of my window in the DR) but then I got to thinking that I wouldn't like my art to appear as if it was "leaning" so I decided to go with Greek/Roman pillars instead.






It has taken me two weeks just to get to Lowes to get some 1/4" plywood cut to size (15" x 60")...






Get the wood painted and get the outline for my design in place...





I cut my design from clear contact paper and stuck it to the painted wood, added masking tape all around the edge to make a border and then paint over everything in a contrasting color...





Once it was dry I peeled the contact paper and tape away and was left with the beginnings of two gorgeous column etchings...






That was the easy parts. I still have to pencil (paint) in the "etchings" for each column with intricate details like this...




Yeah, wish me luck on that part...as I am NO artist!

Once that's done I will still need to seal everything and make frames.

In the condition I'm in it shouldn't take longer than oh let's say...another MONTH or so to complete these.

I really love how they are turning out though and you know I will be sure to share all the details with you as soon as they are finished.

This dining room makeover IS moving forward...even if it is at a snails pace.

What have you been up to lately? Got any projects going on?

Most likely you are busy preparing for the holiday weekend. Which brings me to wishing you and yours a very special Thanksgiving.  After all, rich or poor, great or small, we ALL have A LOT to be thankful for.

Ciao!!



1 comment:

  1. Sheila, I think this project proves that you ARE an artist - it's amazing!!

    I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I've been there myself. I'm thinking of you.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips