Thursday, November 19, 2015

MY SECRET INGREDIENTS FOR TWO OF MY MOST REQUESTED THANKSGIVING DISHES...

Did you realize that Thanksgiving is ONLY a week away?  How did that happen?  It's truly hard to believe that the holidays are upon us ALREADY!!

Anyway, I received a call from my sweet SIL yesterday to go over our plans for Thanksgiving Dinner this year.  She said that it's my turn to bring Mashed Potatoes...ummmm, because mine are the best.  Yep, that's what she said.  So that got me to thinking about why everyone LOVES my mashed potatoes so much...ummm, and my green bean casserole too.

It's because of my secret ingredients!!!

You see most people simply use a splash of milk, some butter and a little salt and pepper when they make their mashed potatoes but not me, NOPE, I use evaporated milk in mine...







and that makes them heavier and creamier and tastier than your average mashed potatoes.  They truly are the BEST mashed potatoes....EVER!!!










Here's my recipe if you would like to try it...

RICH & CREAMY CLASSIC MASHED POTATOES

5 lbs. russet potatoes peeled, diced and boiled until fork tender
1 stick margarine or butter (or more depending on taste)
1/2 - 1 can evaporated milk
salt & pepper to taste

TIP:  I add my butter, salt and pepper to the potatoes prior to smashing.  I then smash everything together with a hand masher first. Once everything is nice and combined I add in the evaporated milk and beat with my electric mixer for 3-4 minutes to make sure everything is nice and smooth. NO LUMPS!!

My green bean casserole is also a favorite and it's a dish that I take to almost EVERY holiday dinner.









 Everyone LOVES it and again I think it's because of my SECRET ingredient...an ingredient that won't be so secret after today...hahaha...but here it is...




Cheddar cheese soup!  Yep, along with the usual cream of mushroom soup, I add in a little cheddar cheese soup.  It gives the dish such a nice rich flavor that no one can resist.

Here's my recipe if you're interested in trying it out at your holiday gathering next week...

SHEILA'S GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

4 16 oz. cans green beans drained and rinsed
1 sweet yellow onion chopped
1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/2-1 10 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 large can french fried onions (topping)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:  Drain and rinse green beans well.  In large mixing bowl combine the soups, milk and spices until well blended.  Add in the green beans and yellow onion and stir until combined.  Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish and top with french fried onions. Bake at 350 degrees until brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.  


So there you have it...my secret ingredients for my two most requested holiday dishes.  Do you have any "secret ingredients" you would like to share?



1 comment:

  1. I've always added sour cream to my mashed potatoes to give it richer flavor. I love your idea of evaporated milk. I am going to try that this year!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips