Wednesday, June 8, 2016

WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF COCONUT OIL...

Okay so I know there are some of my 3 readers out there...probably most of you...who either don't use coconut oil or don't care anything about the subject and that's okay.  I really just want to share my opinions and knowledge today...with anyone who wants to know...about the subject...as coconut oil seems to be all the rage nowadays, especially in beauty care.  Yes, beauty care.

First, I know there are a lot of people putting tablespoons of the stuff in their coffee each morning because of coconut oil's nutritional benefits.  I am not one of those especially because I do not drink coffee...well except for the occasional frappe from McDonalds. Ha, but I think those people are a tad crazy as Coconut oil is fat. I mean, I read one post where the person puts 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in their cup of coffee each morning.  I wonder if they know that the whopping 42 grams of fat and 380 calories their drinking per cup far exceeds any health benefit they may receive from the oil itself.  Too, I think in about a year of doing this they're going to weigh about 100 lbs. more than when they started their "healthy" coconut oil diet.

However, I am not here today to criticize anyone's diet.  I am here to discuss coconut oil...and precisely to say that NOT ALL COCONUT OILS ARE CREATED EQUAL. It's important that if you are using coconut oils in your skin care regimen or as dietary supplements to know the good oils from the bad. I will share here what you should look for when buying coconut oil.

Yesterday I mentioned that Crisco's "organic" coconut oil was an imposter.  What I mean by that is it is so heavily refined and stripped of it's natural goodness that it really should not be used or consumed at all.






It's pretty much just saturated fat laden with refining chemicals in a jar...a plastic jar at that and as you know, plastic contains many toxins that are absorbed by the oil and then distributed to your food or your face too. This type of coconut oil is just not good.

There is another brand of coconut oil that seems to be really popular right now as I have seen it on a lot of beauty blogs and on Pinterest for use in a ton of homemade beauty products. LouAna





LouAna is also endorsed by a chef which I guess makes people believe that it's good stuff.  Can I tell you just by reading the label (because they at least put it on the label, unlike Crisco) that LouAna is highly refined, over processed and lacks the taste, smell and texture of good coconut oil.  It's another one JUST LIKE Crisco.  Again with this brand, everything that is good about coconut oil has been removed and you are left with chemical laden saturated FAT.  It also comes packaged in a plastic jar. When you use this type oil in your diet or in your skin care regimen you are simply putting more toxins in your body.  I urge anyone who is using this stuff to STOP.  It's really bad for you!!

Also, please DO NOT sell any of your homemade products that contains this stuff on open market or give it as "gifts" to unsuspecting friends; and, God forbid stop wasting your precious, EXPENSIVE essential oils in this stuff.  I'm befuddled how you would pay top dollar for the best essential oils and then mix it in low grade, poor quality stuff like this?...but I digress...

There are a few things you should look at to determine whether or not the coconut oil you are purchasing has the goods.  First, it will come in a glass jar.  Glass is pure and will not absorb or emit any chemicals into the product.  However that is not enough.  There are some coconut oils packaged in glass jars that are just as bad for you as Crisco or LouAna.  Spectrum is a brand that carries Organic refined...



and Organic Unrefined coconut oil....



The labels look very similar so be careful which one you grab. You don't want REFINED. Besides, spectrum is one of the most expensive brands on the market.  Save your money and buy something better.

Not only will the real deal be packaged in a glass jar but it will have all these words somewhere on the label...UNREFINED, COLD-PROCESSED (or EXPELLER PRESSED), VIRGIN (OR EXTRA-VIRGIN) & ORGANIC...it may even possibly say that it is undeodorized or that it contains coconut flavor and scent.  You will also notice a difference in appearance and feel.  Good coconut oil is kind of shimmery looking, pure white and will be clear when it melts...not yellow.  It will also be solid in any temperature under 76 degrees.  There are really no words to describe the feel on your skin.  It's very light and supple.

When you find a brand that has all of these characteristics you have found a good coconut oil, an oil that will have all the health benefits you are looking for.  However, I wouldn't go and put 3 tablespoons of the stuff in my coffee every morning if I were you...hehehe.  Not unless you are looking to fatten yourself up!

This is the brand that I use and that I absolutely love.




Notice the glass jar and how the label reads. It's truly the real thing and it smells, tastes and feels AHHHHH-MAZING.  Plus it's reasonably priced at $4.99 for 14 oz.

They even share the fact that their product is safe to use in beauty treatments...




If you are interested in using this brand, you can find it at ALDI.

So there you go, if you are using or interested in using coconut oil for anything, be informed and make a wise purchase.

Ciao,



4 comments:

  1. Good post! I'm gong to try the Aldi brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. informative. i love this post. guys i thought you might be interested as well. i have a site that sells good, cheap and organic coconut oil. try to check it http://www.sunbeamsbrands.com cheers ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah.. coconut oil has its own benifits even animals can use it..click this for your more info.. http://www.sunbeamsbrands.com/.. ive using this for years trust me..

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips