Friday, October 31, 2014

A TRIBUTE TO THE ANTIQUE CHINA CLOSET AND INFO ON THE DINING ROOM MAKEOVER...

Well hello there! Long time no bloggy.  Sorry for that. It's been a busy week or two around here preparing for the Bub's birthday party and other fall events but I'm here today to let you all know that my vintage china closet has sold.  I was serious when I said that I wanted to sell everything in the dining room and replace it with something that is more my taste and style.

As you know I sold the buffet a month or so ago and used that money to buy a nice china cabinet which I plan on painting as soon as I can figure out how to get the glass out of it...(ha I guess I should have thought about that before I decided I needed a china cabinet with window muntins)...most likely that will be the last project I tackle in this little dining room makeover.

I am super excited now that I have sold the vintage china closet because...the money is going towards my new Restoration Hardware style dining table that my father-in-law is building for me...it should look something like this when he's finished...





































Purdy isn't it?  Yep, I can't wait! However, I suppose I should take a moment and pay homage to the old china closet. After all she did hold lots of china and had a great sturdy top that saw lots of decorating and vignettes over the past few years that I had her...hmmm, kind of makes me wonder about her history and how other ladies in the past used her (or decorated  her).  Oh the stories I bet she could tell.

Anyway, I thought I would share with you some of the looks she has sported since I have owned her. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

She started out looking like this...







but I wasn't too crazy about that look so I changed it up a bit and this is what she looked like during the rest of her stay with us...









Minus this kitten, of course!!

I especially loved to decorate her up for the holidays...

































I couldn't find all the holiday pictures but she has been decorated and redecorated to the hilt for each and every major holiday. I've had so much fun with her!

I sure will miss decorating her up, especially since the only flat surface I have left in the dining room to decorate or add a centerpiece to is the dining table, but that's quite alright because I am really looking forward to the new dining table. It's going to be fantastic!  Besides, I know this little cabinet is going to a good home and will see many more years of good use...

The lady who bought her told me that she was going to paint her all up in shabby chic style and use her in the bathroom as a towel/linen closet.  Sounds like a great plan to me.  I wish I would have told her to send me some pictures of the transformation. It would be fun to see her in her new home wouldn't it?

So now as far as the dining room transformation, I will be selling the old dining room table and chairs as soon as I get the 6 original chairs that came with the table painted (they are not shown here)...




I also will be selling the red and cream rug...




This was the only decent shot of it I could find.  I am excited to say that I have already ordered it's replacement....






A chunky jute rug from RugsUSA.  They are having a 75% off sale this week (I figured I would let you in the on the secret in case you want to save big money on a nice rug for yourself). The sale ends Monday so you better hurry! 

Mine should arrive at the house sometime next week. I can't wait!

I am taking this whole dining room makeover one step at a time...selling what I don't want, to buy things I do want and I am trying to choose the things I buy carefully so that I am truly happy with the end result of this makeover.

This is the first time I have tried this sort of method for redoing a room and so far things are working out great and progressing much faster than I thought they would. I usually buy first and then sell what I don't want later at a yardsale or something but I think this way is working out much better with far less work and with less spending too, believe it or not.

I am making more money by selling my items on Craigslist instead of at yard sale prices (or just giving stuff away to get rid of it).  I am also saving money by purchasing items when they are on sale or at a reasonable price on Craigslist and DIYing things whenever I can. Plus, I will not have to go through the work of storing, pricing and setting up a yard sale next year just to get rid of the things I don't want...they will already be gone to the wonderful shoppers on Craigslist.

I think I am going to do a little tally at the end of this makeover to see how much money I saved or spent throughout this whole process...i.e. what the bottom line is...I'm curious to know and I'm sure you are too, right?

If the results are good (which I believe they will be), I think I am going to try this method for the living room redo as well.

For now I am just taking one room at a time...it's WAY less stressful that way...and if there is anything I need less of these days it's stress! Hahaha.

Anyway, saying goodbye to an old piece of furniture has never been so fun and full of excitement.





What have you been up to lately?



2 comments:

  1. I love that table and can't wait to see the new room!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail about portico bath towel

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips