Tuesday, February 24, 2015

FINALLY GOT AROUND TO STARTING THE REDO ON THE DINING ROOM CHAIRS...YEAH, IT'S GONNA TAKE A WHILE!

Hi. Just a quick post to let y'all know what's going on here at the Rodgers Mansion this week...hahaha.

I finally got around to redoing the dining room chairs. Well, I got started on them at least. It might take a few weeks before I can officially say they are done.

I bought this table and chairs on Craigslist about a month or so ago...




I really didn't want the table (because I am building my own Restoration Hardware style rustic farmhouse table) but I needed the chairs.  They are not the exact style I was looking for but they're close enough especially since I was able to get six of them plus a table for a grand total of $50. Not too shabby, huh?

To fit my style, taste and design for the dining room though they needed to be painted and reupholstered.

Now you might ask why I would consider painting such a nice set of chairs (and not want the table)...well they are not in as good of shape or as gorgeous as they appear in the picture.  Lots of scratches and stains. Hence the reason I got it all for 50 bucks, but they are VERY sturdy and comfortable.

Anyway, I spent a large part of this past weekend working on painting a couple of those chairs.  Of course I cleaned and lightly sanded them before applying any paint.  However, it seems I should have gone ahead and primed them first. It has taken about six coats of chalk paint to get the wood fully covered.  Six coats! Usually it only takes two but the dark wood stain kept bleeding through.  I did finally manage to get enough coats on to get good coverage...thank God!




BUT, before I start on any of the other chairs I will be buying a can of primer. It will definitely save me a few steps and a LOT of time.





I think they are going to look great when I do get them all finished, don't you?







There's a lot left to do before they are complete...I still have to prime and paint the other four, then distress, seal and reupholster all of them.

Yes, that might take a while but I am glad I finally got started on them.

What's more exciting is that after I get these done I will be able to start on building my table. I bought the Kreg pocket hole jig I need to help with that from Lowes the other day.  I can't wait!

This dining room is really starting to take shape and meet up with my vision for it. I'm chipping away at it one project at a time.

Until next time have a wonderful life. Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips