Monday, December 23, 2013

2013...A YEAR IN REVIEW

Hello and a very Happy Holiday season to all of you.  With Christmas nearly here and the New Year quickly approaching I thought it fitting to do a year in review post.  Let's take a look at everything that has happened at the Rodgers mansion my humble abode this year shall we...

Warning, this is a picture laden post so sit back and relax, okay...

At the beginning of the year I started with my daughter Kayla's room.  We had traded spaces.  She got the master bedroom on first floor and the hubs and I took her room upstairs.  Of course both rooms needed a complete makeover so we tackled hers first...(ours is yet to be touched but that job is on next years' bucket list).  Everything in sis's room got a fresh coat of paint...the walls, windows, doors and trim.  Even some of her furniture got a makeover with a little help from some orange oops paint...here are the results...












There have been a few minor changes to this room since that time, but nothing worth showing.  Besides her room NEVER stays clean enough to take any follow up pics...she is a huge slob but I still love her. Hahaha

Next I tackled the upstairs bath.  It was VERY UGLY to say the least so it got a fresh new paint job as well.

Here's the hideous before...


























Take a look at the beautiful after...
























































I guess I never took a straight on shot after the bath was done, but this is the same bath.  There were no costly renovations or remodeling to this bath at all.  The entire makeover was done with just paint. Just goes to show you that a little paint can work wonders.  I still love the almost black color that I chose for the upper walls in here (Valspar's Rugged Suede).  I never thought I would ever use such a dark color for a small room but every time I walk past this room it makes me smile.  It's simply gorgeous.

Once the weather had turned warm in the spring we focused most of our attention to the outside of the house.  We started with the addition of a cute little fountain where big oak had once stood...




Then we added a new roof and carport to the garage...the hubby needed a place to park his boat after all...LOL...





























And then after much patience the roofers showed up and put a new roof on the house...






























We also got a new front door (which you can see above), shutters and glass storm door.

































That's pretty much it for the outside this year but those few things really made a HUGE difference in the appearance of our home.

In the fall I moved my attention back indoors and painted the doors, windows and trim in the living room, dining room and two small main floor hallways...now all the trim on the main floor is finished...yay!




























Yeah boring I know but I am still psyched to finally have this tedious chore finished.

Moving on...I started redoing the kitchen.  I got rid of the red and lightened everything up.





I still have lots to do in there including painting the ceiling and cabinets but it's looking better already.

Now I can't leave out my favorite DIY project this year...my round table makeover...


































and last but not least I cannot forget the living room furniture.  We went from off-white (our old stuff which had seen better days for sure)




and replaced it with something a lot brighter and REDDER...





























but low and behold the sofa broke...and just when I was getting used to that bolder, brighter stuff! It's all good though because in the end I got something way better and more my style...




Well that's it.  I hope you enjoyed this little year in review.  We really did work hard and accomplished a lot this year.

We still have a lot to do but the end is in sight.  We are going to keep plugging away at beautifying this old house of ours and maybe by the end of 2014 we will have most of the major stuff done.  I will be back after the first of the year with our 2014 bucket list.

Until then, have a very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years.



1 comment:

  1. I love the striped curtains in your bedroom! We just moved and the next room I want to redo is mine & hubby's. He doesn't want me to paint our wood furniture and I was planning on doing a medium grey on the walls and accent with white and red. Your photos give me hope that it can turn out beautiful even without white furniture!

    I wanted to let you know I created a list of Apostolic Pentecostal Blogs awhile back and I've added links to both this blog and your other blog (Faith In Action) to the list. You can see it here: http://apeverything.blogspot.com/p/blogs.html

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips