Monday, February 3, 2014

LAMP SHADES & CURTAINS FOR THE MASTER BEDROOM & OTHER FABULOUS NEWS...

Wow, is it really Monday...AGAIN.  The weekend went by WAY too quick but I did get a few things done. Yay!!

I finished painting the lamp shades and I got some curtains hung in the master bedroom.

The lampshades look great.  This is the first time I have ever painted anything like this so I was just a tad skeptical that it could be done without looking cheesy.  I have to say that I am very pleased with them...


























I was worried that the black flowers would not cover well but I can't see even the slightest hint that they were ever there.  I started by painting over them with a linen colored craft paint...


























Once that was dry I gave each shade two coats of paint.  I mixed plain white matte finish Folkart craft paint with a small amount of the linen color paint to achieve a soft creamy white. I added a touch of water to the mix to thin it down just a touch.






























The little fuzzies you see came right off with a light sanding.  They turned out great and I couldn't be happier with them...


























While this is probably not your ordinary DIY project, it was a quick, easy and inexpensive fix to a problem.  I like those kinds of DIY projects, don't you?

Did you notice the curtains in the picture above?  I got those hung yesterday...


























They are the Vivan drapes from Ikea and they were $9.99 for the pair.  Very inexpensive!


























(Not sure why the bedding looks so brown in a few of these pictures...there's no brown in it, just grays and golds....hmmm, go figure!)  Anyway, I have had the curtains for a while so they are not new but since they weren't in use I figured they would work in here...for now.  They are a little too sheer and I'm not really wanting plain white so I will probably change them out when I find something I like better. I hope that's soon.

























I found the little chair a few months back for $15.00 at Salvation Army is it's on my DIY project list to be reupholstered soon.  I am still thinking about fading the bedding and I have a little wall decor project planned for over the bed too.  And speaking of beds, I have a little DIY job planned for it too.  This room is definitely a work in progress but it's coming along.


Now for a bit of fabulous news...I am the winner of the Susie Harris "You are stronger than you think" canvas giveaway.  I received her email yesterday.  Yay!!! I am super excited!


Hand painted by Susie Harris...susieharrisblog.com

The canvas will actually be given to my sister who is going through a very rough time in her life right now. It will be so nice to give her such a wonderful handmade gift to lift her spirits.  Thank you Susie!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips