Thursday, June 5, 2014

POOPILIZER...

Okay, so I bet you thought you would never see the day that the title of a blog post would contain the word "poop" did you?  Ummm, maybe its because that word is not very charming or pretty, is it...and certainly not fitting for a home decor blog but...today I just couldn't pass up the chance to share with you my new plant food...well, it's not new...it's centuries old...but I just started using it the other day...POOPILIZER.

Now if you have done much gardening at all you know that plants need fertilizer (food) to thrive.  There are many types on the market but avid gardeners prefer organic over chemically produced.  Organic being that of decomposed materials or remnants of other plants or herbivores (plant eating animals).

Truthfully I am fairly new to gardening and never gave too much thought to feeding my plants. In the past (even as little as a few months ago) it was my habit to purchase gorgeous plants, go home and dig a hole where I wanted the plant to live, plunk the plant down into the hole, back fill the hole with soil, water and then expect that plant to grow and thrive. I guess I figured everything the plant needed to survive was already in the soil.  Who knew they needed POO too.  Okay I couldn't help the pun but all these years I thought I had a black thumb and that plants should fear the day that I brought them home with me.  Come to find out though, through my Google searches and pouring over a million articles on gardening, anybody with a little learning, and some rabbit poo can have a green thumb.  Hmmm, who would've thunk it and it just so happens that I have just the guy to help me out...MR. BUN BUNS...







Awww, isn't he cute.  He's our pet Easter bunny.  We got him three years ago for Easter.  Sure wish I would've found out three years ago that rabbit manure was the perfect fertilizer.  Maybe I could've saved a few plants.

Anyway, unlike other animal manures it is not "hot" and will not burn your plants if it comes in direct contact with them.  It doesn't have a strong odor like other manures and adding it to poor soil, like Missouri's clay soil, will drastically improve the soils structure and quality.  After learning all this wonderful stuff I promptly donned my rubber gloves and gathered some of this...






and sprinkled it around all but two of my mums...





I had been reading that mums like a little fertilizer every month or so and since they have been looking a little puny (I'm guessing due to my barbaric way of just plunking them in the ground and then starving them) that I figured they would be perfect for a little experiment. I fertilized all but two with bunny poo and will be monitoring them over the next few months to see if the poo really works.  Of course I'll be sure to share the results with you.

In the meantime, if you want to know more about the best all natural fertilizer, you can read all about it in this article...THE BENEFITS AND USES OF RABBIT MANURE.

So, how is your garden growing? What fertilizer do you use?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you...please leave me a comment!


Blogging tips